Budolfi Church, now a cathedral, dates from the end of the 14th century and Aalborghus Castle, a royal residence, was built in 1550.
Today, Aalborg is a city in transition from a working-class industrial area to a knowledge-based community.
The population grew in parallel with the development of many fine buildings in the city as merchants benefitted from their shipping routes from Norway to Portugal.
During the second half of the 18th century, Aalborg entered a further period of prosperity.
Grey Friar Convent, on the east side of Østerå, was probably built around 1240; it was documented in 1268 when it was a Franciscan Convent of the Order of Friars Minor, but like many other Roman Catholic monasteries and convents was shut down in 1530 as a result of the Reformation.
With a population of 210,316 (as of 1 January 2016 By road Aalborg is 64 kilometres (40 mi) southwest of Frederikshavn, and 118 kilometres (73 mi) north of Aarhus.Trænregimentet, the Danish regiment for army supply and emergency medical personnel, is also in Aalborg.Aalborg University Hospital, the largest in the north of Jutland, was founded in 1881.The distance to Copenhagen is 412 kilometres (256 mi). Aalborg's position at the narrowest point on the Limfjord made it an important harbour during the Middle Ages, and later a large industrial centre.Architecturally, the city is known for its half-timbered mansions built by its prosperous merchants.