giving it effective self-government, in the words of the charter, "for eternity".
The Castle and Shire Hall were expressly excluded and remained as detached Parishes of Nottinghamshire.
Nottingham was extended in 1933 by adding Bilborough and Wollaton, parts of the parishes of Bestwood Park and Colwick, and a recently developed part of the Beeston Urban District.
A further boundary extension was granted in 1951 when Clifton and Wilford (south of the River Trent) were incorporated into the city.
Nottingham was one of the boroughs reformed by the Municipal Corporations Act 1835, and at that time consisted of the parishes of St Mary, St Nicholas and St Peter.
It was expanded in 1877 by adding the parishes of Basford, Brewhouse Yard, Bulwell, Radford, Sneinton, Standard Hill, and parts of the parishes of West Bridgford, Carlton, Wilford (North Wilford).
It was granted its city charter in 1897 as part of Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee celebrations.
Eventually, the space between was built on as the town grew and the Old Market Square became the focus of Nottingham several centuries later.
Defences, consisted initially of a ditch and bank in the early 12th century.
The city also has professional rugby, ice hockey and cricket teams, and the Aegon Nottingham Open, an international tennis tournament on the ATP and WTA tours.
This accolade came just over a year after Nottingham was named as the UK's first City of Football.