Point Richmond was originally the commercial hub of the city, but a new downtown arose in the center of the city. During the war the population increased dramatically and peaked at around 120,000 by the end of the war.It was populated by many department stores such as Kress, J. Once the war ended the shipyard workers were no longer needed, beginning a decades-long population decline. By 1960 much of the temporary housing built for the shipyard workers was torn down, and the population dropped to about 71,000.The western terminus of the Santa Fe Railroad was established in Richmond with ferry connections at Ferry Point in the Brickyard Cove area of Point Richmond to San Francisco.At the outset of World War II, the four Richmond Shipyards were built along the Richmond waterfront, employing thousands of workers, many recruited from all over the United States, including many African-Americans and women entering the workforce for the first time.
His loyalty to the town of his birth caused him to persuade a federal surveying party mapping the San Francisco Bay to place the names "Point Richmond" and "Richmond" on an 1854 geodetic coast map, which was the geodetic map at the terminal selected by the San Francisco and San Joaquin Valley Railroad; and by 1899 maps made by the railroad carried the name "Point Richmond Avenue", designating a county road that later became Barrett Avenue, a central street in Richmond.The wigwag is an antiquated type of railroad crossing signal which was phased out in the 1970s and 80s across the country.There was controversy in 2005 when the State Transportation Authority ordered the BNSF railroad company to upgrade the railroad crossing signals.The medical system established for the shipyard workers at the Richmond Field Hospital eventually became today's Kaiser Permanente HMO.It remained in operation until 1993 when it was replaced by the modern Richmond Medical Center hospital, that has subsequently expanded to a large multiple building campus.